Prison Mindfulness Institute (PMI) Path of Freedom Facilitator Certification Requirements
The PMI Path of Freedom Facilitator Certification requires approximately 300 hours of additional training (plus 50 hours practice teaching the POF).
- Complete Intro Session: Complete six-week online “Intro to the Path of Freedom” course with passing grades on all tests (past participants can retake the tests to achieve passing grades for this requirement).
- Mindfulness Teacher Certification: Complete all the requirements for Level I: 300-Hr EMI Mindfulness Teacher Certification OR complete a program such as the UMass MBSR Certification, UCLA MARC Certification, Spirit Rock Mindfulness Teacher Training or Shambhala International MI training. You would need to submit your certificate of completion from one of these programs AND a letter of recommendation from a teacher/mentor in the program you completed–see step #3.
- Evaluation & Recommendation: Receive a positive evaluation and written recommendation from a senior EMI/PMI faculty or other lead teacher from the Mindfulness Teacher Certification Program you completed.
- Practice Teaching: Complete 50 hours of documented Path of Freedom facilitation (supervised by an approved Path of Freedom mentor–supervision can be done via webcam–contact us if you wish to begin this step. This step will require regular online reporting post-classes you lead) Note: You can begin working on your 50 hours of supervised POF facilitation following the Intro webinar, and before or during your Mindfulness Teacher Training. Just make sure you setup the PMI POF mentoring and reporting process with us.
- Recordings: Submit four (4) 20 minute video tapes on Zoom technology of you leading Path of Freedom course material (technical help will be provided for this step).
- Final Interview web conferencing interview with Path of Freedom facilitator Certification Committee after all other requirements are satisfied.
Note: The PMI Certification Committee reserves the right to ask any participant to complete further training and/or practice teaching prior to granting Path of Freedom Facilitator certification.
PMI Certified POF Facilitators
- John MacAdams
- Barbara George
- Kate Crisp (senior teacher & trainer)
- Fleet Maull (senior teacher & trainer)
- Mark O’Leary
- Buck Reidy
- Gary Schapiro
- Nealy Zimmerman
- Ariel Pliskin
- George Coan
- Micah Thanhauser
- Doug McCanne
- Debra Callahan
- Rebecca Foster
- Richard Sylvester
- Jonah David
- Jozo Novak
- Pake Hall
- Mike Brady *
- Mark Genco*
- Dorothy Renner*
- Joshua Weinstein*